How NOT to get crazy before Christmas
Feeling Christmas fever already? I have few magic points to help you slow down and keep the joy of holiday season by not getting into craziness too much.
- Get others involved
- Plan healthy activity
- Wake up your thankfulness
- Spend less time in the kitchen and more with family
- Cook only with good mood
- Prepare healthy gifts such as homemade granola in jars for friends
- Give up on strict dieting
Thinking about Christmas, the bottom line is that we all want to be happy and spend some quality time with friends and family, therefore I wrote (see below) 3 small strategies that can make a big difference.
Create a game plan and be ready for different responses (mind flexibility)
Everyone has a conversation pattern especially during family gathering, so make yourself a favor and think in advance what to talk about with whom, differently than any other year. Name of the person, what they usually say, how you usually respond and what is your new response to change the dialogue
Give yourself few breaks by leaving what’s uncomfortable.
Even 10 min break will make a difference. Emotions will have a chance to cool down. Everyone needs to use the bathroom from time to time. Sometimes just breaking the tension, or removing yourself helps you to get more control and clear your mind of negative grip. You could actually do slow breathing for 5 minutes (you can use some application with short guided breathing session) or watch your favorite clip on YouTube (engage both with hearing and seeing senses) and at the end give yourself good comment (self-talk) by saying ‘I am much better now thanks to my self-soothing skills’
Breath to feel alive.
Sounds simple but the truth is that mind can’t focus on two things at a time. And if you are getting upset, angry and your blood pressure is rising, your hands are getting clammy, you chick are getting more and more red-ish color, its time to take a break and turn your attention to the breath. Stand up and walk away from the situation, go to more private space such a guest bedroom or bathroom, give yourself 5 minutes to breath with thinking about breathing only. Breathe deeply but slowly in through your nose and let it out through your mouth. Do this slowly (counting to 4) and silently, allowing your body to slow down and get grounded.
The truth is that no one actually wrote a code of rules saying that holidays have to be the time of a year that families are forces to be together and must fight against all odds to enjoy one another’s company.
Holiday mean different things to everyone.
This could be the year when you start your very own tradition.
Make it special for yourself.
Thank you for reading this article – I spent a lot of time creating it for you and you will make my day if you leave your sign, share reflection in the comment. Without your feedback this blog is incomplete. So let’s stay in touch!
- Remember to leave a comment – your conclusions, thoughts and remarks are my inspirations. I read them all and create new articles based on them.
- Share the link to this article – if what I’ve written is helpful, interesting or moving to you, let your friends know about it and send it on.
- Join me on Instagram – that’s where you’ll find parts of my everyday life, my own ups and downs, my stories and reflections from building balanced life, and a lot of pictures depicting how I implement psychology and coaching into daily life.
- Join me on Facebook – in addition to all current information, you’ll find links to interesting articles from other websites and inspiring videos.